How to obtain sanctification.
Luke 14:25 – 35
1. “Determination is the first great essential to being sanctified to God.” [B.T. Roberts]
a. Feelings only get you so far…
b. “This decision must be an independent one.” [BTR]
c. No secret reservation…
d. Problem: profess holiness as long as the preacher preaches holiness. New pastor who preaches publicly but worships secretly at the altar of Baal or the shrine of fashion. UNDECIDED.
2. “This decision must be self-sacrificing.” [BTR]
a. “The very essence of holiness is the extinction of selfishness.” [BTR]
b. Sin is still at odds with holiness.
c. Willingness to encounter sin’s hostility… endure the worst.
“Things that were the greatest sources of joy to you must be abandoned if they stand in the way of living a holy life.” [BTR]
3. “To obtain holiness we must sanctify ourselves.” [BTR]
“Sanctify yourselves, therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God.” [Lev. 20:7]
a. If you pray for a harvest… you must prepare the ground, till, sow, and guard it.
b. Spiritual results… conditions.
c. Spiritual laws (like physical laws).
d. Faith/prayer… work God requires us to do.
[CAUTION: not to get into “humanism.”]
***** FACT: “Holiness a voluntary state.” *****
“Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” [2 Corinthians 7:1]
4. “To obtain entire sanctification we must confess our inbred sins, our sinful dispositions, which to a greater or less extent remain after one is truly sanctified to God.” [BTR]
a. REMAIN? “carnal mind”
b. It is why we need to “repent.”
c. “proneness to evil,” “heart bent to backsliding,” “still continuing tendency of the flesh to lust against the Spirit,” “tendency of our heart to unbelief.”
d. NEED to continually watch.
5. “To be sanctified wholly we must trust implicitly in God, through the merits of Jesus Christ to do the work now.” [BTR]
a. Key word… “now.”
b. Meeting conditions does not bring sanctification… active trust (voluntary and consciously exercised).
c. God will do what He says!