Hebrews 8 “The New Covenant”
I. Some new, something better!
A. Why is the new covenant better?
1. [7:22] The Bible says so… (it starts with grace NOT position)
2. [7:24] It is established by the permanent priesthood of Jesus (King – Priest in Hebrews.)
3. [7:25] Salvation is “complete.”
a. The idea here is that God does not abandon the work…
b. Salvation is and will be “entire.”
4. [7:27] Sacrifice is “once for all.”
B. Why was the new covenant necessary?
1. The old covenant was “flawed.” (Literally it was “not without blame.”)
a. It was through flawed humans…
b. It was through a copy [8:5] not the original…
II. How did God change things? [10 – 12]
A. It is called “sanctification” [10 – 11]
“I will sprinkle you with clean water, and you will be clean and acceptable to me. I will wash away everything that makes you unclean, and I will remove your disgusting idols.  I will take away your stubborn heart and give you a new heart and a desire to be faithful. You will have only pure thoughts,  because I will put my Spirit in you and make you eager to obey my laws and teachings.” [Ezekiel 36:25 – 27 CEV]
1. “Sprinkle” [v 25] was the process of sanctifying the tabernacle/priesthood. It means “CLEAN.”
2. “New heart” (and new spirit)… It means “RESPONSIVE DESIRE”
3. “My Spirit… eager to obey.” It means to be “OBEDIENT” under the influence of the Holy Spirit.
4. End result of being Clean, Responsive, and Obedient have “POWER” from God. Under the power of the Holy Spirit we do not have to live under the rule of sin.
B. It is called “forgive and forget.” [Heb. 8:12]
1. CAUTION: God is the only one in the universe that can do this…
2. Forgiven means we are free.
3. Forgotten means we are safe. God does not “back track” on His grace or forgiveness!
III. How should we respond to this?
A. Repent (“godly sorrow”) leads to forgiveness.
“…that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.” [Luke 24:47 ESV]
B. Renew under the control of the Holy Spirit.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” [Romans 12:2]
*****In other words… Let God change the way you think so you don’t live like everyone else.
C. Remain faithful.
1. If we have been cleaned and are responsive to the Holy Spirit then we will be obedient.
2, This obedience comes from the power of the Holy Spirit.
D. Rejoice in a productive life.