Translate

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Recovering from rebellion

June 16, 2022 (Thursday)

 

David was not the only writer of a Psalm. Several Psalms were written by Korahites. These were the sons of Korah who led a rebellion against Moses in Numbers 16. The earth opened up and swallowed him and his 250 followers. The next day, people complained that Moses had somehow killed them. The result was that 14,700 people died in a plague. Jude notes the willingness to challenge God’s ordained ("Korah’s rebellion") as a symptom of a false teacher.

 

Korah’s line did not die (see Numbers 26:11, 2 Chronicles 20:19). His line was tasked with being musicians (singers) in the Temple. Possibly the most famous Korahite was the prophet Samuel. Psalm 42 – 43 is an amazing composition attributed to the Korahites (or sons of Korah). Let’s crack it open to see what steps might be taken to recover from such a rebellion.

 

The first image is one of a deer. It emphasizes the focus and orientation of one’s life. "Just like a deer that craves streams of water, my whole being craves you, God." [Psalm 42:1 CEB] The image is of a deer desperate for water. However, the need is not just for water; it is for a consistent source of water. Our "soul" (whole being) must desperately crave God. When we do not, we become vulnerable to straying, discord, and rebellion.

 

Circumstances in life can stink. I’m talking about the kind of stench that is so noxious that we puke involuntarily at the first whiff. The sons of Korah were there. Observe, "My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you…" [Psalm 42:6a NIV] Ever been deeply discouraged? Anyone experience depression? Ever have a moment when it seems you are being pushed off a mountain, stomped on, and spit on? You know the moment when you have hit the ground with a splat and are not running. Korah's sons focused their thoughts on God and His past deeds.

 

They continue, “Why, I ask myself, are you so depressed? Why are you so upset inside? Hope in God! Because I will again give him thanks, my saving presence and my God.” [Psalm 42:11 CEB] The answer to the turmoil is hope. I know, when scraping yourself off the pavement or digging out of the rubble, how do we manufacture hope? Maybe that’s the point, you don’t because you can’t. Earlier the sons note, “But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me…” [Psalm 42:8 NLT]

 

At some point, we have to give up, let go, and trust God. One final point, "Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God." [Psalm 43:4 ESV] One cause of misery in this world, other than sin, is when we leave the practice of our faith. Consistent attendance at church will be a balm to the soul. Separation from that invites the enemy of our souls to kick us around and choke us out.


No comments: