***** Christianity is “simple” as far as purpose and process.
Matthew 22:34 – 40
Jesus sums up the Old Testament.
1. Love God (total)
2. Love others (“as your self”)
3. Serve in love! (Love is not “just” a feeling.)
***** Loving God is connected to loving others.
1 John 2:7 – 11
1. Its “either/or” but we would be much more comfortable with lots of “gray area” in between. That way we do not have to take responsibility to love for feel guilty because we are not loving.
2. Our relationship with ONE accurately reflects our relationship with God. One non-loving relationship calls into question the whole.
John 17:20 – 23, 26
1. Unity is witness [v 21].
2. Unity is a reflection of relationship [v 22].
3. Unity is a function of love [v 26].
When a church is in a cycle of conflict it demonstrates a lack of love, which is a reflection of a lack of relationship with God. When a church demonstrates love, it is an attractive witness to those who need God.