1 Corinthians 11:23 – 26
Remembering Jesus I
PREMISE: True religion is not about a system of though (philosophy, theology, organization), it is about a person named Jesus.
POINT: Jesus asked us to REMEMBER because we tend to FORGET... this was Jesus’ "dying request."
I. Remember Jesus’ "mission."
A. Jesus said He entered the world for a reason.
1. That single reason was the cause of everything He said and did.
2. Jesus was "on a mission" – focused, determined, and passionate.
3. Reality, these kinds of people annoy, scare, and disgust us (unless they are on our side).
***** Jesus was faithful to the cross. *****
B. Jesus said: "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." [Luke 19:10]
1. Background: Jesus as going to Zachaeus’ house to eat... people were muttering." (Complained, grumbled, indignant)
a. they couldn’t stand the thought that someone like Zachaeus could find favor with Jesus or be saved (like they thought they were).
b. the wanted to limit (decide) entrance into God’s favor.
2. Jesus "mission" was to those who were lost (meaning everyone)
C. The Bible says: "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." [Ephesians 1:7 – 8]
1. FORGIVENESS means "1. Buy back; pay off (a loan or debt) 2. Liberated from captivity or obligation by paying ransom. 3. Perform or fulfill a promise." [New American Webster Handy College Dictionary]
2. We are lost with no way to save ourselves = utterly, totally, completely helpless.
3. We are guilty, in need of forgiveness. Something only God can grant according to the riches of His grace.
II. Remembering Jesus’ work.
A. The Bible says: "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work." (1 John 3:8b)
1. The devil’s work is to separate us from God
a. In the Garden of Eden, he seduced Adam and Eve to sin.
b. In the wilderness, he attempted to seduce Jesus away from His mission.
2. The devil’s tool is sin.
a. Sin is the means the devil uses to control us. Like putting a handle on our back and pulling us back whenever we make progress toward righteousness.
b. Sin is the stuff we do that is wrong = trespass (cross a line).
c. Sin is not doing the right stuff = defiance.
B. The main consequences of sin is death.
1. There is physical death AND spiritual death
a. Physical death we fear.
b. Spiritual death we should fear. (But we are hard hearted/headed.)
2. The Bible says: "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law." (1 Corinthians 15:56)
a. Sin makes physical death frightening because of judgement...
1.) If we are separated from God it means eternal hell
2.) If we are in a right relationship with God it means eternal heaven.
b. Guilt, caused by knowing, gives sin leverage (MSG)
1.) Guilt causes us to HIDE from God (e.g. Adam and Eve).
2.) Guilt causes us to LOOK FOR OUR OWN SOLUTIONS (e.g. Adam and Eve).
***** Jesus’ work on the cross shatters sin’s stranglehold on our GUILT, our FEAR, our WILL.